BC | Canada 150 Grant Recipient Project Highlights

Burns Lake Native Development Corporation

Project: Preservation and Rehabilitation of the Old Hospital in Burns Lake
Funding Received: $30,000

The Burns Lake Native Development Corporation focuses on identifying and developing employment, training, and business opportunities for six local area Bands in and surrounding the Burns Lake area. These are: the Wet’suwet’en First Nation, the Burns Lake Band, the Lake Babine Nation, the Nee Tahi Buhn Band, the Skin Tyee Nation, and the Cheslatta Carrier Nation.

The completion of this BC|Canada150 project has restored and helped to preserved a truly historic building.

The Old Hospital was built in 1932. At the time, it was the largest and finest public building between Prince George and Prince Rupert. The building quickly became known for its beautiful garden spaces. It served the Heart of the Lakes region as a hospital for many years. Later, the building served as an apartment complex for senior citizens.

In 1982, 50 years after it was originally constructed, the Old Hospital was declared an official heritage building. Since then, the building has been maintained as an office space by its tenant and owner, the Burns Lake Native Development Corporation.

The Old Hospital is a central hub in the community of Burns Lake and has served the community in many different capacities. The services of the BLNDC are accessed at the Old Hospital by Indigenous persons, youths, and regional/rural audiences. These groups have taken advantage of the business advisory, planning, funding assistance, employment search assistance, and training services. This project preserves, rehabilitates, and restores the building, thus allowing these groups to continue to utilize the building, and access BLDNC’s non-profit services.

The building’s roof and overall infrastructure have been rehabilitated, along with a sense of pride at the BLNDC. The building’s overall appearance, both the outside and inside, has been updated and renewed. The Old Hospital building in Burns Lake has been restored to its former glory!