Congratulations to all our award nominees!
Two Awards of Merit and a Distinguished Service Award will be presented at the “Peaks of Success” Awards Dinner in Whistler, October 13, 2016. And the nominees are:
Award of Merit:
· Chinese Canadian Artifacts Project – 16 museums across BC who came together to make their Chinese Canadian holdings publicly accessible in an online database.
· Beaty Biodiversity Museum – “100 Years, 100 Treasures” celebration of the Museum’s collection, history, and community.
· Sikh Heritage Museum National Historic Site – four years of innovative programming and exhibits recognising and raising awareness of Sikh heritage and history in British Columbia and Canada at the Gur Sikh Temple
· The Residential and Indian Day School Art research Project – gathering and sharing the personal stories behind student-produced art at Residential and Indian Day Schools.
· Royal BC Museum – “Righting Historical Wrongs” Chinese Canadian learning portal and outreach kits.
Distinguished Service Award:
· Tim Willis – dedicated efforts, through a number of roles, to bring museums into their communities
· George Harris – years of work, through Two Rivers Gallery, to develop the careers of northern-BC artists and to bring internationally-renowned artists to northern BC.
Find out more about the awards here.
In lieu of Delegate Bags, this year Tourism Whistler is offering Delegate Deals online! Visit the page link below to find exclusive conference discounts on transportation to Whistler, maps of the area, and special delegate offers to redeem in Whistler Village.
We are pleased to announce the local artist creating the awards for the BCMA Awards for Outstanding Achievement: Squamish Nation artist, Jim Yelton.
In a step to support the annual conference host communities, the awards presented to winners are designed by local artists from current conference locations. Click here to find out more about Jim Yelton.
The Council of the BC Museums Association is delighted to announce Erica Mattson as the organization’s new Executive Director, effective immediately.
Council members were unanimous in their selection of Erica, citing the skills, energy, and enthusiasm that she will bring to the association. Erica has a wealth of experience from the cultural sector and has held roles with Calgary Arts Development, Victoria Symphony, the City of Vancouver and, most recently, the Province of BC, and has a Master’s of Arts degree in communication from Royal Roads University.
Erica is charged with building sustainability for the organization and advocating for museums, galleries and historic sites. She is enthusiastic about working in partnership with all levels of government and with our member organizations to strengthen and support the sector and looks forward to connecting with many of you at Conference 2016 in Whistler next month.
For contact details visit our staff page.
We are excited to announce Foothills Systems & Gaylord Archival as our sponsor for Owl’s Bookstore! A Calgary based museum and archival storage design company since 1973, you will also find them at the Conference Trade Show.
Owl’s Bookstore will be open throughout the conference. If your institution has extra books gathering dust in storage, this is a great opportunity to get them into appreciative hands!
Please bring to Conference 5 non-fiction books (hardcover or soft) ofinterest to our museum and gallery community. Then visit Owl’s Bookstore to purchase books for a nominal fee, with all proceeds to BCMA.
The BC Museums Association is accepting nominations for individuals making a substantial contribution to BC’s cultural sector for its upcoming issue of Roundup Magazine. Selected winners will be featured in Roundup’s winter 2016 issue, Change Makers.
Nominations must include the attached nomination form and be submitted via email by September 23, 2016.
For more information and to download the nomination form click here.
Late Registration rates are now in effect. If you haven’t yet registered for Conference 2016 in Whistler, don’t delay!
For registration information visit our Conference Registration page.
Please take note that the Annual General Meeting of the BC Museums Association (BCMA) will take place at the Whistler Hilton Resort, Whistler, in the Mt. Currie Ballroom at 7:30 am, on Friday, October 14, 2016.
Please note the Call for Nominations to Council deadline was September 14th.
Visit the AGM page to learn more.