B.C. celebrates Family on February 17, 2020!
Online applications are now open!
Family Day was introduced in B.C. in 2013 to recognize the great contributions that families make to our lives, our communities and our province. Supporting families is essential to building strong, happy and healthy communities. B.C. Family Day is a day to get together with loved ones. In celebration of this important day, special events and activities in communities around the province are being held Family Day Weekend for families to enjoy.
Following the success of Family Day 2019, the Province of British Columbia, has once again partnered with the B.C. Museums Association, to provide one-time grants to support local museums, art galleries, cultural institutions and First Nations communities in coordinating, family-based, admission-free community events.
Grants up to a maximum of $1000 are available to eligible organizations to cover a portion of the facility costs, equipment rentals, basic refreshments, etc. of a free community Family Day event.
Family Day Event Grant Criteria:
In order to qualify for a grant, you must meet the following criteria:
- Your organization must be a current BC Museums Association Member. For information about our membership program, please visit our website. [NOTE: First Nations groups and Indigenous Cultural Centres are encouraged to apply. If obtaining a membership in the BCMA is a barrier to your organization, the BCMA may waive this part of the criteria. Please get in touch if this is a concern: firstname.lastname@example.org.]
- Your proposed event must take place within the applicant’s community during BC Family Day long weekend (i.e. February 14, 15, 16, or 17, 2020).
- Your proposed Family Day event must be free and accessible to everyone and all ages. ***Please note there must be no financial requirements of the general public to attend the event.
- Your proposed Family Day event must be family-oriented.
- Your proposed Family Day event must be designated and “branded” as a Family Day event.
Other important things to know:
- We will only award one grant per event location.
- The grant is intended to cover a portion of the events’ costs for: participant fees, facility fees, equipment, staffing, refreshments, etc.
- Grant awards are up to $1,000. Awards will be based on projected impact of your event in your community and your organization’s need.
- Applications will generally be approved on a first-come, first-served basis, although some funds may be reserved to ensure a diversity of regions and institutions are represented in the final recipient list.
- The goal of this program is to distribute funds in as many communities as possible to help B.C. families gain access to our wonderful arts and cultural heritage institutions on BC Family Day 2020.
- You are strongly encouraged to invite your elected officials to your Family Day event. Advocacy resources, including letter templates, are available on the BCMA Brain.
- You must acknowledge the financial support of the Provincial Government in any event promotional material with the language: “This event is supported by the Province of British Columbia.”
- Your approved event will be posted on the BCMA Family Day Community Event Listing page.
- You will be required to submit a brief report.
Grant Application Deadline: 4:30 pm PST on February 10th 2020, or as grant funds remain available. You will be notified within 3 business days of the status of your application.
Please complete the online application form below. Applications are accepted and awarded on a rolling basis, but must be received no later than 4:30pm PST on February 10, 2020. All decisions made by the BCMA will be final.
For more information, contact Abigail Buckwalter-Ingram, BCMA’s Development & Membership Manager: email@example.com.
Click here to see a list of Family Day events happening around the Province!
We gratefully acknowledge the financial support of the Province of British Columbia and the Government of Canada.